Welcome to the Youth Age Group. This age group is quite broad and generally covers members between the ages of 14 and 18 years. This page has been developed to provide information to teenagers and their parents and provide an over view of youth activities.
Following is a general run down of the Youth program at Sorrento SLSC. If you have done the Youth Program at Sorrento recently, a lot of this information you will already be aware of, but please do read over it to familiarise yourself with the program, note any changes, as well as starting dates and times, formats, YIPs info (Youth Involvement Program), competition information and dates for the upcoming season.
For those that have just joined our surf club, or have just moved up from Nippers – Welcome.
SUNDAY MORNING ACTIVITIES
8:30am - 10:30am
Arrive at club on grassed area outside courtyard to sign in with Kylie and register for Club Swim. Ensure you have your visibility vest, club cap and goggles, sunscreen, water, towel, sun protective clothing (including a hat) and warm clothing for those chilly days.
Register for club swim at 8.30. Swim is mandatory for all Youth members. Ensure you have your visibility vest, club cap and goggles on ready to go, Your time for each swim will be registered and participants will then be handicapped through out the season.
After the club swim all Youth Members are to meet with their Youth Officers and assistants at the Youth Flag. The group will participate in various activities according to the Program Pathway Objectives, surf conditions and leadership ratios. Some youth will be participating in Age Manager, Patrol and water safety responsibilities.
Attendance is for the time stated above, Youth once signed on, are to participate in activities until the end of the session at 10.30 approximately
Sunday morning is not a drop off pick up session. We cannot guarantee 100% supervision of your child at all times. This must be considered. We will be looking for Parent helpers on the day to help run the Youth Program so please volunteer.
If you have completed you SRC or Bronze and are rostered on for patrol in this time, you must attend patrol.
Information will be passed on via our Youth Liaison Officer Kylie Milne through emails, our Youth Face Book page and Youth Newsletter, which will be emailed out to you.
Please join the Sorrento SLSC Youth Face Book page, the Athletes Face Book page, Patrols Face Book page, Beaches Face Book Page and download the Sorrento Team App. These avenues of communication will provide various information throughout the season, and should be checked regularly.
Feel free to communicate with the committee through our Liasion Officer.
BRONZE / SRC
If you have not completed your SRC or Bronze Medallion, then these are also something that need to be completed during this season.
Under 15 will need to complete their Surf Rescue Certificate.
15 and over need to complete their Bronze Medallion.
You will need to go onto the Sorrento Website and complete an “Expression of Interest” form that you return to Jess at the office. They will then inform our Education Officer who will allocate you to a ‘like’ training group.
Each season SLSWA offer places in their development camps. Selection of Youth that are offered places to attend these camps are done so via communications with Youth Co-ordinators and coaches within the club.
The 2019/2020 Camps are:
DATE: Monday 6th to Thursday 9th of January 2020
DATE: Monday 13th to Thursday 16th of January 2020
The Rise Up Camp is designed to cater for 15 and 16 year old members. This camp provides an opportunity for members to participate in a wide range of physical and social activities that will develop personal leadership skills. Age Group: U17s
Teamwork, Opportunity and Development (TOAD) Camp
The TOAD Camp is a development program open to 13 and 14 year old members. The camp is designed to expose participants to a variety of skills and activities that will enhance and encourage their development within our organisation.
Once you have your award you are required to attend rostered patrols. Patrolling Sorrento beach is what our Club exists for. They are our core value.
While you are on patrol your Patrol Captain is in charge and will give you tasks to do. Be active and get involved. If you have any questions ask your Patrol Captain.
Annual Proficiency - By the 31st of December each year, all active members must requalify in their bronze or SRC awards. Sorrento SLSC allocates specific dates for members to complete their requalification in their Bronze or SRC awards. Please keep yourself updated with Sorrento SLSC newsletters, facebook pages or the Sorrento Team App for all relevant information.
* If you intend on competing this season – training has already started.
Please join the Sorrento Surf Life Saving Club Athlete’s Face Book page to keep up with all information through out the season including time or date changes for training sessions, carnival info and any social events.
It is up to you to register for the carnivals. In Seniors, you must take responsibility for ensuring you are registered and have paid for each carnival. Below is a guide to register:
- Use the following link to access the SLSA Online Payment System
Follow the step by step instructions.
- Ensure you put meaningful information in the memo field i.e. : Your Name; date of carnival; type of carnival ski, swim etc .
- Once your payment is submitted the system automatically sends an email to the club.
- Please keep your receipt. Any queries please email email@example.com
- Please note that the cut-off time for entries for carnivals is always MONDAYS at 12 noon prior to the carnival, any payments received after this time will incur a late penalty fee (office is only open until 2pm on Mondays and entries can only be done until 2pm). Don't be confused by SLSWA on the My Beach website stating entries open until 11pm, office staff can only enter members until 2pm and also members who have paid, NO entries will be done without payment - please contact the office if you need more information/clarification
- A list of registrations are posted on Face Book Wednesday night. It is up to you to make sure your name is on that list. If it does not appear contact Adrian KirkPatrick (Competition Director) or make a comment on Face Book.
- Competition numbers will be posted Friday night before each carnival and there will be a copy at the beach in case you forget.
- Late entries are charged to the individual athlete.
On carnival days it is up to you to make sure you are in the right place at the right time. Coaches are there to coach, they are not there to marshall. Parents, you may need to help in this area.
Look after your equipment, as Seniors it can become costly if you do not respect your tools. Children borrowing club equipment for carnivals must return it to the club after each carnival. Please treat it like it is your own.
Parents will need to make themselves available for Water Safety and Official duties. If you are keen to help out (and we can really do with the help!), there are SRC, Bronze and Official Courses held throughout the year. Please read the newsletter or get online to research.
TRAINING - It is important that you are training to improve your skills in your chosen disciplines.
When choosing teams in Seniors, training, club championships, carnivals attended, results and attitude are what the coaching panel looks at.
Don’t be scared to give things a go. Training is a great way to get fit, meet life long friends
and have some fun!!
* Training is offered for the following disciplines: beach sprints and flags, boards, skis, boats, IRB’s, March Past, RnR (some of these disciplines have age limits – please enquire to Jess in office)
* Current training schedules are on large white board in boat shed. These training times will change as the upcoming season progresses.
* Changes to training schedules are put on the white board and also put up on Athletes Face Book Page.
* Please visit the Sorrento SLSC website to confirm training times of all disciplines and contact details of coaches. The Sorrento Athletes Face Book Page and Team App also communicates current training and competition information.
You will a YIP information booklet and hopefully read up on the YIP Program. It is run to encourage, recognise and reward youth participation within our club. It is a voluntary program that requires the youth to achieve three levels of participation – bronze, silver and gold. Along the way commitment and achievements are rewarded (eg embroidered hooded towels, Sorrento SLSC backpacks etc)
It is a wonderful way for you, as a Youth member, to ‘give’ back to our Sorrento Surf Life Saving Club and Community.
The concept is quite simple. YIP’s is a recognition and reward program with a similar concept to Frequent Flying points. Participants collect points for being involved in lifesaving activities. The more activities you engage in, the more hours you volunteer, the greater your YIP’s points score!
There are many ways to be involved and the good thing is that not only can others benefit from your efforts, you can also be rewarded for the effort and time that you put in. You, as a Youth member, can earn points for doing many different activities around the club from
- Competing at carnivals
- Doing patrols
- Helping with nippers (assistant age managers, water safety or just a helper)
- Doing water safety on a Friday evening for the North Coast Tri Club (contact Jess Bunford)
- Doing water safety at other Tri Events through out the season (contact Jess Bunford)
- Assisting with social events (eg Juniors disco, Xmas Wind up, Youth social activities) and
- Assisting with club activities (Club Swim, Watermans to the Wall etc)
A minimum number of points and patrol hours are required for each level. Once each level is obtained the participant is presented with a reward provided by the Club, and a certificate from Lifesaving Australia to acknowledge the participant’s achievement and contribution to lifesaving.
If you are interested please complete an expression of interest form and hand to Dale Berry.
* At the first Sunday Session on the Sunday 20th October, you will meet your YIP co-ordinator – Anne-marie Macrae, who will run you through this program.
Please remember as a Youth Member there are many avenues for you to become a valuable member of our club. These can include:
Patrolling SRC and Bronze Club Swim
Assistant Age Managers for Nippers Water Safety for Nippers
Sausage Sizzle for Nippers Training/Fitness
Sunday Activities Volunteer to help at Club events
Water Safety for Tri Events
Competition – Beach (sprints and flags), Ocean (swim, board and ski), Boats, R&R, March Past, Pool Rescue